With wires and trees down across the county, Putnam County residents are asked to stay off roadways to allow highway crews to clear

“Highway crews have been working through the storm keeping critical roads open”, said County Executive MaryEllen Odell, “in order for them to work effectively residents are asked to limit travel and stay off roadways.

The Putnam County Emergency Operations Center (EOC) reports 80 roads totally impassable and 40 roads with debris but passable throughout the county.

NYSEG reports that currently 33,600 customers are without power with Central Hudson reporting 1300. 

NYSEG and Central Hudson Gas and Electric are working with our highway departments to safely clear downed trees and branches.  NYSEG and Central Hudson both report that mutual aid crews have been assigned to our area and are ready to respond once the winds allow safe operation of equipment.

Residents are reminded to report any outages to their local utility company.  NYSEG can be contacted at 800-572-1131. Central Hudson Gas & Electric can be contacted at 845-452-2700. Both companies have an app available for download to track outages.

Putnam County 9-1-1 remains fully manned and should only be used for emergency requests for Police, Fire or EMS. 

 

Safety Near Fallen Wires:

  • You can’t tell if a power line is energized just by looking at it. You should assume that all fallen power lines are live and proceed with extreme caution.
  • If you see a fallen power line, stay at least 30 feet away from it and anything touching it. The ground around a power line and any objects it contacts, such as a fence, may be energized. Call 911 to report the condition so that emergency responders and Central Hudson or NYSEG are notified.
  • If a downed wire comes in contact with your vehicle, stay inside and wait for help. If you must get out because of fire or other danger, jump clear of the vehicle to avoid any contact with the vehicle and the ground at the same time. Land with your feet together and hop with feet together or shuffle away; don’t run or stride. 
  • Do not attempt to move a fallen power line or anything else in contact with it using an object such as a broom or stick. Even non-conductive materials or cloth can conduct electricity if slightly wet.

Generator Safety: 

  • NEVER operate a generator in an enclosed space, even with a window or door open. This includes inside your home, basement or garage. Doing so can lead to a potentially lethal build-up of colorless, odorless, poisonous carbon monoxide gas.

  • Only have an experienced electrician connect a generator to your home. Improperly installed generators may overload circuits, cause a fire or shock hazard, and can result in serious injury or property damage. Improperly installed generators can also back-feed onto electric lines and endanger repair crews working to restore service.

  • Plug appliances directly into the generator using a heavy-duty, outdoor-rated extension cord that is designed to handle the wattage of all the appliances being connected.

  • Generators should be sized to meet the needs of the appliances they are connected to. If too small, appliances can be damaged, and the generator can overheat, creating a fire hazard.