The National Weather Service has notified us that we are in an enhanced risk for severe
thunderstorms this afternoon (8/27/20) into this evening. Severe thunderstorms can produce
wind gusts of 60 MPH or higher with large (2” or larger diameter) hail possible. There is also the
possibility of isolated supercells which can produce wind gusts of 75 MPH or greater and golf to
tennis ball sized hail.
Putnam County Emergency Operations Center (EOC)
The EOC is currently at Level 3. The Office of Emergency Management staff will continue to
monitor conditions and provide public information
Traffic and Road Conditions
Putnam County Sheriff’s Office reports that we are seeing normal traffic patterns.
All County facilities are on their appropriate normal working schedule
NYSEG – Storm Response Team is monitoring weather forecast, planning and readying crews
and equipment. Crews have been pre-deployed to areas expected to be impacted
Bureau of Emergency Services
Putnam County 9-1-1 is fully staffed. The public is reminded that 9-1-1 should only be used for
EMERGENCY requests for Police, Fire or EMS.
Highways and Facilities
Highway crews have been notified and are ready to respond
- Keep a flashlight and fresh batteries handy.
- If you rely on electricity to operate a well pump, fill your bathtub for an extra water reserve.
- Ensure adequate supplies of prescription medicine and other necessities.
- Keep your cell phone fully charged.
- Fuel up your vehicles.
- Have a plan to check on vulnerable neighbors and family members.
- Stock water and non-perishable foods that require no refrigeration or cooking.
Please monitor NY-Alert and www.putnamcountyny.gov for updates.