Carmel, NY— September 18, 2020 — Putnam County Executive MaryEllen Odell announced today that a new website has been created where the public can review the County’s process on Police Reform and Reinvention Collaborative (PRRC)
“Public Service Agencies, including police agencies, should always be transparent” said County Executive MaryEllen Odell, “this site along with our regular PRRC Meetings will allow the public to better understand the policies in place as well as the training mandated for all our police officers”.
The site can be accessed at: https://www.putnamcountyny.gov/policereviewpanel
The site will include:
- Upcoming meeting dates and agendas
- List of panel members for the PRRC
- Minutes to previous meetings including links to audio archives
- A Q & A section including a link to our email address (email@example.com) where the public can submit questions
and provide comments
- Links to resources
The panel was formed on August 13, 2020 to conform to New York State Executive Order No. 203 – New York State Police Reform and Reinvention Collaborative signed by Governor Cuomo on June 12th, 2020. Among other things it mandates that
- Local governments must perform a comprehensive review of current police force deployments, strategies, policies, procedures and
- Develop a plan to improve such deployments, strategies, policies, procedures and practices for the purposes of addressing the particular needs of the communities served by such police agency
- Promote community engagement to foster trust, fairness and legitimacy and to address any racial bias and disproportionate policing of communities of color
County Executive Odell convened the first meeting on August 13, 2020 and brought together the heads of our local police agencies along with community stakeholders to begin the process of developing a plan that focuses on evidence based policing strategies. “From mental health to legal aid to law enforcement and everything in between, the panel will provide a diverse look at our current practices and provide direction to future practices”, said County Executive Odell. Due to temporary emergency orders public attendance is not permissible however the meetings are accessible via an audio webinar. The site will provide a link to the next meeting scheduled for September 29, 2020 at 10:00 am.