In these difficult and ever changing times Putnam County would like to encourage all residents to enjoy our Parks and Conservation Areas. Please exercise every caution by practicing social distancing, hand washing and other recommended safety precautions.
- The Putnam Golf Course in Mahopac is open. Sanitation practices are being enhanced to ensure public safety.
- The Putnam Bikepath running from Baldwin Place to Brewster and distancing over 13 miles offers biking, running and walking on a paved trail.
- Michael Ciaiola Conservation Area in Patterson is open offering over 12 miles of marked hiking trails, mountain biking, scenic views and waterfalls to explore. Parking areas and trailheads are located on Haviland Hollow Rd. and Stagecoach Rd.
- Fred Dill Wildlife Sanctuary in the Hamlet of Carmel offers 2.25 miles of hiking showcasing natural and historical points of interest along the paths. Access is on Fair Street or from the Bikepath.
- Fishing access is available at Dixon Lake Conservation Area in Mahopac and at the Donald B. Smith Conservation Area in Patterson.
- Geocaching is available on some of our Conservation Areas. It’s up to you to find them.
Unfortunately out of an abundance of caution for our residents and staff that are required to report to work we are temporarily closing the Putnam County Veterans Memorial Park in Kent and Tilly Foster Farm in Brewster. It was not an easy decision to reach but after considering the amount of potential public exposure to children and their families, Veterans and visitors that utilize the playgrounds, picnic areas, exercise equipment and restrooms or come to see the Veterans Monuments, Museum or farm animals, it is an important step in reducing risk.
Our goal is to keep as many recreational opportunities open as possible throughout this crisis while taking every precaution to ensure that everyone stays safe. We encourage residents to be outside, exercise and stay healthy.