Putnam County’s Application for Examination and Employment Form is no longer available for download, because we can now only accept applications for examinations that are submitted online. Suggestions to help with the online application process:
- An email address is required for the online application process. If you do not have an email address, you may set one up at a free site (e.g. Google Gmail, Yahoo, MSN Hotmail, etc).
- It should take you approximately 45 minutes to fill out the application for examination. If you wish, you may save your application and return to it later. Instructions about how to save an application and how to return to the saved application are provided on the Online Exam Application webpage.
- Before beginning the online application, make sure to have ready any personal information you will need to enter (for example: your social security number, dates of past employment, license numbers, etc.), as well as any electronic (or scanned) documents that you may want to attach (for example: resume, performance test results, licenses/certifications).
How do I pay my application fee for an exam?
Exam filing fees must be received within five business days from your application submission, or the application will be disqualified.
- Pay online (credit, debit or eCheck) through Official Payments®
- Pay by check or money order mailed or delivered to:
Putnam County Personnel Department
110 Old Route 6, Bldg 3, Carmel, NY 10512
Exam filing fees are non-refundable for any reason, including disqualification. Please carefully consider whether you meet minimum qualifications before submitting your application. Cash will not be accepted. Make checks and money orders payable to Putnam County Personnel Department. Online payment can only be submitted through the link which will be provided to you in the confirmation email you will receive upon submitting your application. You will not find this link on the web or in the application. It is provided by email only.
Transaction fees for online payment: credit 2.65%/minimum $1.95, debit 1%/minimum $1.00, eCheck $2.50. Non-refundable.
If you choose online payment and you are applying for more than one exam, wait until you have submitted all exam applications, then pay all exam filing fees together in one payment. One payment transaction (instead of multiple payment transactions) will save you money on transaction fees.
Fee Waivers: if you are unemployed, you may be eligible to have your filing fee waived. Please refer to the Fee Waivers information in the following section of this application to see if you qualify.
How do I know if I am eligible for a fee waiver?
If you are unemployed, receiving benefits, and head of household (cannot be claimed as a dependent on anyone else’s taxes) then you may be eligible to have the examination filing fee waived. According to Civil Service Law Section 50.b(b): “…fees shall be waived for candidates who certify to the state civil service department, a municipal commission or regional commission that they are unemployed and primarily responsible for the support of a household, or are receiving public assistance.” If you believe that Civil Service Law Section 50.b(b) applies to you, submit the Fee Waiver Application
Instructions for Fee Waiver:
- Print the Fee Waiver Request Form.
- Submit the completed form along with supporting documentation to Putnam County Personnel Department within five business days of your application submission.
- Fee Waiver Request forms and supporting documentation may be mailed to or dropped off at: Putnam County Personnel Department, 110 Old Route 6, Bldg. 3, Carmel, NY 10512.
- If your Fee Waiver Request form is not received within the time permitted, your application will be disqualified and will not be reviewed – no exceptions.
CROSS FILING (Taking Exams in More Than One Jurisdiction)
If you have applied to take an examination announced by more than one local jurisdiction (county, town, city) scheduled to be held on the same test date, you must notify each of the local jurisdictions as early as possible (no later than two weeks before the test date), so that arrangements can be made for taking all examinations at one test site. You must inform each jurisdiction of all examination titles and numbers, and at which jurisdiction you want to sit for the examinations. Please note that all examinations for positions in State government must be taken at a State examination center. Click here for a printable Cross Filing Form
Are there study guides for the exam I am taking?
To prepare for examination subject matter, candidates should focus their examination preparation on the information given in the “Subject of Examination” section of the examination announcement, and use their personal experience and resources to find appropriate study and preparation materials. Commercially available test guides for civil service exams are not recommended, as they are often not accurate to the examination subject matter. A limited number of Test Guides, designed to familiarize candidates with the format of examinations, are provided by the New York State Department of Civil Service. Click here for NYS Test Guides & Exam Resources