Naturalization in Putnam County

Michael C. Bartolotti

Putnam County Clerk

Naturalization is the process by which U.S. citizenship is granted to a foreign citizen or national after he or she fulfills the requirements established by Congress in the Immigration and Nationality Act

How to Apply for Naturalization

To apply for naturalization, fileĀ Form N-400, Application for Naturalization.

For more information, see ourĀ How Do I Apply for Citizenship?Ā guide. We also provide educational materials to help you prepare for the English, U.S. history and civics portions of the naturalization test, including:

For more test information visit ourĀ Naturalization TestĀ page.

If you are in the military and are interested in becoming a U.S. citizen, please see theĀ M-599, Naturalization Information for MilitaryĀ guide.

You May Qualify for Naturalization if:

  • You have been a permanent resident for at least 5 years and meet all other eligibility requirements, pleaseĀ visit ourĀ Path to CitizenshipĀ page for more information.
  • You have been a permanent resident for 3 years orĀ more and meet all eligibility requirements to file as a spouse of a U.S. citizen, please visit ourĀ Naturalization for Spouses of U.S. CitizensĀ page for more information.
  • You have qualifying service in the U.S. armed forces and meet all other eligibility requirements. Visit the MilitaryĀ section of our website.
  • Your child may qualify for naturalization if you are a U.S. citizen, the child was born outside the U.S., the child is currently residing outside the U.S., and all other eligibility requirements are met.Ā Visit our Citizenship Through Parents page for more information.

You may qualify through other paths to naturalization if you do not qualify through the paths describedĀ in the links to the left. See also the USCIS Policy Manual Citizenship and Naturalization Guidance and our A Guide to NaturalizationĀ guide. Chapter 4 of the guide discusses who is eligible for naturalization.

Note: You may already be a U.S. citizen and not need to apply for naturalization if your biological or adoptive parent(s) became a U.S. citizen before you reached the age of 18.Ā For more information, visit ourĀ Citizenship Through ParentsĀ page.

For more information you can visit:
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services: Citizenship Through Naturalization