The Putnam County Department of Highways & Facilities is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Diesel Mechanic.
This is skilled work involving responsibility for the maintenance and repair of a variety of diesel/gas engines and heavy-duty equipment such as bulldozers, graders, trucks and other road maintenance and construction equipment. Responsibilities include but are not limited to troubleshooting and diagnosing problems on a variety of diesel/gas equipment. Work is performed under general supervision of the Chief Mechanic II, with the Lead Diesel Mechanic and Lead automotive mechanic providing direct supervision. Supervision of others is not a responsibility. Performs related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Repairs, maintains and/or overhauls diesel and gas standard and specialized vehicles including dump trucks, snow removal equipment, construction equipment, sweepers, and a variety of specialty equipment including engines, brakes, transmissions, springs, rear-end and front loaders, hydraulics, fuel systems, air systems and air leaks;
- Troubleshoots, analyzes and diagnoses problems in a variety of vehicles including automobiles, trucks, tractors, snow equipment, hydraulic operated pumps, small engine equipment and other equipment including computer-controlled equipment, as necessary;
- Responds to road-service calls in a timely manner, and services and repairs disabled vehicles and equipment promptly;
- Uses specialized hand and power tools to make and complete repairs including welding and fabrication tools and materials;
- Operates electric and/or acetylene welding and cutting equipment;
- Assists in maintaining inventory and equipment records;
- Assists in preparing reports and other documents, as needed;
- Requisitions parts, supplies, tools, equipment and other items as directed;
- May assist with snow plowing/removal and the loading of snow equipment, as necessary;
- Performs a variety of related activities as required.
Graduation from high school or possession of a comparable diploma and four (4) years of journey level experience in repair and maintenance of a variety of automotive, hydraulic, computerized diesel and gas engines and heavy-duty equipment, two (2) years of which must have been in light truck/bus repair and maintenance.
- Possession of a valid New York State Commercial Driver License (CDL) appropriate to the type and size of equipment being operated, at the time of appointment.
- Possession of a valid New York State Motor Vehicle Inspector's certificate with authorization to conduct Group 1 inspections, within six (6) months of appointment.
- ASE master certification in automotive or diesel repair
- Certification in diesel equipment repair
STARTING SALARY: $62,343 per year
SCHEDULE: Monday-Friday, Full-Time, 8 Hour Shift
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
Applications and resumes may be submitted to the Putnam County Personnel Department by mail or email:
Putnam County Personnel Department
110 Old Route 6, Bldg 3
Carmel NY, 10512
PUTNAM COUNTY – AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER