The Putnam County Sheriff’s Department is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Special Patrol Officer. Applicants must be retired police, correction, parole or probation officers, per NYS General Municipal Law §209-v.
This position involves responsibility for maintaining order and providing security in and around public buildings, school district buildings, courtrooms and/or other public facilities. Incumbents have all the powers of a peace officer, as set forth in §2.20 of Criminal Procedure Law, when performing the duties of protecting property or persons in and around such premises. Performs related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES
- Provides security by standing in and patrolling public buildings and facilities, including interior spaces as well as immediate outside areas;
- Maintains order and decorum in public spaces such as courtrooms, waiting rooms, etc.;
- Protects and guards employees, students, visitors, and the general public in and around public buildings, facilities and properties;
- Screens visitors and checks identification and other necessary documents, as needed;
- Provides general information to visitors and the general public on premises;
- Subdues and/or physically restrains unruly individuals, as needed;
- Safeguards public property;
- Provides first aid and/or other assistance in emergency situations;
- Maintains and updates records as required; Prepares activity and incident reports;
- Distributes and posts appropriate documents and materials;
- May be assigned to secure and guard prisoners and/or detainees in a courtroom or related situation;
- May provide escort to and from public buildings and facilities, or to and from courtrooms, as needed;
- Performs a variety of related activities as required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Applicants must be a retired member of a police or sheriff’s department, or of a division of state police, or retired former correction, parole or probation officer*.
- Applicants must be retired no longer than four (4) years. Please list the date of your retirement in your application
- Applicants must be residents of Putnam County or a contiguous county in New York State (Dutchess, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange counties)
- Special Patrol Officers may not carry or possess firearms while on duty unless authorized to do so by the appointing authority. If so authorized, possession of a license issued pursuant to §400.00 of Penal Law (Criminal Procedure Law §2.10.37) is required. Where possession of license is required, eligibility for and possession of the license is required at the time of, and throughout, appointment.
*New York State General Municipal Law §209-v, Employment of retired persons as special patrolmen for publicly owned property
SALARY: $30/hour, part-time
SCHEDULE: Part-Time, Monday-Friday
Applications and resumes may be submitted to the Putnam County Personnel Department by mail or email:
Putnam County Personnel Department
110 Old Route 6, Bldg 3
Carmel NY, 10512
PUTNAM COUNTY – AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER