The Putnam County Sheriff's Department is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Corrections Officer (Part-Time).
NOTE: Applicants must be a recently retired Corrections Officer meeting certification requirements.* This is a Competitive position under NYS Civil Service Law. Appointments to this position would be made as Reinstatements from a previous competitively-held position.
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES: This position involves responsibility for maintaining the care, custody, and control of incarcerated individuals inside and outside of the Putnam County Correctional Facility. This care, custody, and control may take place inside incarcerated individual housing units, other areas within the correctional facility, as well as outside of the correctional facility in places such as courts, medical offices, and hospital settings.
Work procedures are well defined but incumbents are responsible for exercising vigilance and sound judgment in emergency and problem situations. Work is performed under general supervision of a higher level correctional superior with leeway allowed for the exercise of independent judgment in dealing with day to day situations in the facility. Performs related work as required.
SOME TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Maintains the care, custody, and control of incarcerated individuals in the care of the correctional facility;
- Respond to and assist in maintaining order during emergency situations;
- Provides first aid and/or other assistance in emergency situations;
- Maintain the safety and security of incarcerated individuals while on transportation outside of the correctional facility;
- Watches for unusual incidents or activities on the part of inmates involving violation of facility rules, or a life threatening situation and reports these to supervisor either verbally or in writing;
- Communicate with courts regarding incarcerated individuals' securing orders and future court appearances;
- Prepare written reports when needed as well as maintain accurate logs of work activities; Utilize a computer to control gates and doors within the correctional facility;
- Performs a variety of related activities as required.
- Graduation from high school or a comparable diploma;
- *Must be a recently retired Corrections Officer who is certified in the use of firearms and up-to-date on all trainings as mandated by the NYSDCJS at time of retirement. Applicant must not have retired under any disciplinary action or probationary status. **Please list the date of your retirement in your application.**
- "Recently Retired" - Retired less than 4 years ago if applicant had worked continuously for longer than 2 years; OR Retired less than 2 years if applicant had worked less than 2 years continuously.
- Age - Candidates must be 21 years of age or older to apply;
- Drivers License - Possession of a valid New York State Drivers License is required at the time of application;
- Residency - Candidates must be residents of NYS at the time of appointment;
- Citizenship - United States citizenship is required;
- Initial applicant screening interview
- Complete background investigation
- Polygraph examination
- Formal interview
- Psychological examination
- Medical examination and drug testing
- No record of felony conviction
Salary: $30/hour, part-time
Location: Putnam County Sheriff's Department Correctional Facility
Schedule: Per Diem schedule based on the availability of shifts. Shifts include 0730-1530, 1530-2330, and 2330-0730 seven days a week.