Temperatures are expected to be close to 90°F several days this week. Prevent heat-related illnesses by:
- Staying cool
- Wear lightweight, light-colored, loose fitting clothing
- Stay in air-conditioned places as much as possible
- Take a cool bath or shower
- Limit outdoor activity to the morning and evening when it is cooler
- Take frequent breaks if you must be outside and stay in the shade as much as possible
- Protect yourself from the sun if you go outside. A sunburn can dehydrate you and affect the way your body cools itself.
- Eat light meals
- Staying hydrated
- Drink more fluids. Avoid alcohol and sugary drinks.
- Make sure children, older adults and pets are also drinking more fluids
- Staying informed
- Know the signs of heat-related illness and act quickly
- Sign up for NYAlert to notify you of extreme heat
- Follow your local officials on social media
Remember to never leave a child, disabled adult or pet in a car on a hot day, even with the windows open.