Waste Disposal Options in Putnam County

Waste removal practices vary by town, so residents should contact their Town office for specific information. The town offices also have information about the times of operation and location of the e-waste containers.

Town of Carmel
Town Supervisor’s Office (845) 628-1500

Town of Kent
Town Office (845) 225-3943

Town of Patterson
Town Clerk (845) 878-6500

Town of Philipstown
Town Clerk (845) 265-3329

Town of Putnam Valley
Town Supervisor’s Office (845) 526-2121

Town of Southeast
Special Districts (845) 279-8206

County Recycling Services

Household Hazardous Waste

The County provides for the disposal of household hazardous waste by scheduling days these materials can be dropped off for safe removal.  A list of materials accepted can be found by clicking on the link above.  For information regarding the next event, call (845) 808-1390 x-43150

Electronics Collection

Many more manufacturers and retailers are beginning to take some responsibility for the disposal of products they create or sell. The concept is called “PRODUCT STEWARDSHIP,” and asks producers to consider the true cost of “disposable” products. Much of what we discard is still functional, and should not be considered “garbage.” Old electronic equipment can be refurbished or recycled, and its useful life extended. Not only does this reduce the waste we generate, it also reduces the demand for raw materials – the oil needed to make plastic components, the metals mined to produce wires and circuits, and the energy used to extract these materials. For a list of places accepting used electronics click on

There are also places to sell electronic items when you no longer need them. In addition to sites like Amazon, eBay and Craig’s List, there are other sites such as Second Rotation (gazelle.com), BuyMyBrokeniPod.com, CellForCash.com, CollectiveGood, and greenphone.com.

Electronics Collection Locations

The County has provided a container for the recycling of electronic items at no cost to all six towns.  Carmel, Kent, Patterson, Philipstown, Putnam Valley, and Southeast all have e-waste containers. Call your Town Supervisor’s office to find out the hours of operation .

  • Carmel: The Othmer Building Side Lot, 48 McAlpin Avenue, Mahopac.
  • Kent: Kent Recycling Center, Ray Singer Court, Carmel
  • Patterson: Patterson Recycling Center, Cornwall Hill Road, Patterson
  • Philipstown: Highway facility, Lane Gate Road, Cold Spring
  • Putnam Valley: Highway garage, Oscawana Lake Road, Putnam Valley
  • Southeast: Highway Department, Palmer Road, off Route 22,

Other items

Click on the links below for more information on where to bring items to be recycled.  Local businesses are doing their part to help.

  • Old cell phones may be donated to organizations for reuse.  They are also accepted by cell phone service providers. Old phones may also be put in the e-waste container in your town.
  • Lead-acid batteries (most car batteries) are accepted for recycling by establishments that sell them.
  • Other Batteries: Home depot, through Rechargeable Battery  Recycling Corporation (RBC), accepts old cell phones and used portable rechargeable batteries commonly found in cordless power tools, cellular and cordless phones, laptop computers, camcorders, digital cameras, and remote control toys.  This includes the following types of batteries: Nickel Cadmium (Ni-Cd), Nickel Metal Hydride (Ni-MH), Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) and Small Sealed Lead (Pb).  Customers should bring their old batteries to the returns desk. Check the home depot website for other energy saving tips (Eco Options) www.homedepot.com
  • Tires are accepted by certain tire dealers
    for a nominal fee.
  • State law requires that establishments that sell more than 1,000 gallons of motor oil per year must accept up to 5 gallons of used oil per person per day.
  • Plastic grocery bags are accepted by most supermarkets other retailers.
  • Most dry cleaners will accept wire hangers.
  • Shredded paper should be accepted by haulers providing curbside pick-up.  Contact your hauler for specifics.
  • Compact fluorescent light bulbs can be recycled at some store locations as well as at the Health Department’s Household Hazardous Waste Collection day. Home Depot will also accept CFLs. Customers should take them to the return desk.

More Recycling Options

Mail Back Programs for Recycling from Home


Hudson Valley Materials Exchange

Where to Recycle Bottle Caps

Freecycle is a grass roots nonprofit organization whose “mission is to build a worldwide gifting movement that reduces waste, saves precious resources & eases the burden on our landfills while enabling our members to benefit from the strength of a larger community.” Donations of useful items are tax deductable, and there is no charge to those who can reuse them. Check out two nearby centers at

Are you a local business owner or manager who is helping to keep Putnam green by accepting items for recycling?  Let us know and we’ll add your company name to our website.  Call (845) 278-6130 ext. 43164.